The first boats were rowing boats, and then sailing boats, and now motor boats.
The boats in this guide can still be seen todayin Mallorca’s harbours.
Some of them are a hundred years old.
There were also much bigger boats.
Some transported goods between the islands and all over the Mediterranean.
Others were trawlers,and some attacked vessels from enemy kingdoms to steal their cargo.
In his book, Navíos y Navegantes (Boats and Seafarers), Víctor Guerrero describes the arrival of the first settlers on the islands in pre-historic times, and what their boats were believed to be like.
There are associations in the Balearic Islands which take care of traditional boats: They restore them and sail them.
You can consult them to find out more!
- Associació d’amics del Museu Marítim de Mallorca
- Associació Alzinaires
- Associació per la conservació del patrimoni i la cultura marítima mallorquina
- Associació de Vela Llatina Mallorca
- Amics de n’Agustina
- Real Liga Naval Española - Baleares
- Reina del Mar, Eivissa
- Amics del Port de Maó, Menorca
- Amics de la mar de Menorca